Kay MoonDawn wrote:In this part of the world, it's still winter - but I am already thinking of warmer months. With these months mean mosquitoes and other bugs. Mosquitoes really bother me - when I get bitten it's in multiple places and the swelling and iching is horrible at most times.
I was wondering if there is any organic way to repel these insects away from me - before I get bitten...?
Okay, a serious delay in response to this question :oops: , but there are more natural ways to repel mosquitoes than ye olde DEET.
First, Gaiam has this solar-powered keychain thingy that is supposed to emit a high frequency sound, I believe, that wards them off. It gets good reviews but I've never tried one. Anywho if you want to look into it I believe it was around $10 and hey... no batteries! You just hook it to your belt loop or whatever.
Also if you go to a natural food store they should have some alternatives to Off! type bug repellants (we sell these where I work, but again, never tried them). Some are sprays, some are lotions, etc., and no harsh chemicals.
Also if you're going to be hanging out in your yard or some other stationary place where you can light a candle, don't forget citronella candles do work pretty good too! You can just get the candle, the candle in a holder, or those torch-thingys too. Good if you're having a gathering of people outside.
Sorry I don't have any personal reviews for you. : ) I honestly don't bother much with the mosquito repellant, though we do have them here, it's not nearly as bad as when I was a kid in NJ with woods in our backyard and THOUSANDS of the beasts attacking us. My friends and I would be outside playing ball until it was too dark to see and then we would move inside and count and compare mosquito bites (somehow I usually won... they must like me!). Anywho after that a few bites every now and then (I'm in a dry area) doesn't bother me much. That plus I wear a lot of clothes that they can't very easily penetrate
. Long sleeves, pants, skirts, turtlenecks. Yes, in summer. Yes, in 90+ degrees. Yes, I'm a freak.
Oh, and when you DO get bitten... put some regular old bar soap on it and let it dry on there (don't rinse it off). It will help lessen the itching. : )
Hope this helps! = )