The way I wrote this poem was kind of interesting. My girlfriend had painted a Celtic style cross from this kit kind of thing. It's incredibly intricate. Well, I counted how many times a weave crossed over each other as the cross scaled up and down. This is how I arrived at the syllable count for each line. I then tried to rhyme every eighth syllable. Since I didn't want the rhymes to be broken up across stanzas, though, I decided to cheat on the last line of each stanza.
The theme of the Deeper Woods ending each stanza just sort of happened, and I thought that was cool. The bummer thing is that I started out to write a poem rich in lavish detail, a veritable painting with words. But what came out was more of a question and a call. I started to debate if the poem wrote itself or if I just failed in my original design, and then decided, sheesh, stop overthinking and just submit it. So, here it is.