Ok.. until the last few weeks I was under the rather cosy "city boy" illusion that the only kind of chicken in this world was well.....a chicken. How wrong.....since deciding to share our lives with four of these delightful creatures I have learned;
1. There are different breeds, they are not just different coloured chickens.
2. They lay different coloured eggs. (They are all the same colour at tescos..
3. They are bossy, pushy, and wonderfully in charge of me. They have identified my wife as the "Alpha Human", will line up like soldiers for her and are putty in her hands. For me it is like "Yeah whatever" cue banjo music and catch us if you can.
4. They are most obliging and respectful in the presence of the Alpha Human. In my presence they bully me for tit bits, and one of them in particular has decided that my bare toes remind her of worms on sticks. (Chickens do not peck gently..
5. They have reduced our large and now somewhat bemused Tom Cat who bears the scars to prove he is "Top Dog...er..Cat" round this neighbourhood to a skulking nervous wreck in his own garden.
6. The sight of our dog trying to do his business in the garden whilst looking over his shoulder in terror when the "Girls" are enjoying a bit of free ranging is heart rending.
BUT....They do lay a nice egg with sometimes a double yolk....
Blessings from the Grove of the raptor chickens.
"No one has any right to buy and sell the earth for private gain. By theft and murder, they steal the land; Now everywhere the walls rise up at their command." The Diggers c. 1649